Monday 9 August 2010

Reno's KC Debut

I've bitten the bullet and started to run Reno at KC shows.  I had planned to wait until I was certain that he could run clear in training but I'm obviously not that patient!!

Our first run was at Rugby.  I was quite optimistic about this run as he had been so good at Agility Nuts so was a bit disappointed when he lost focus going to see the pole picker and judge.

Since then I have done a couple of runs with him at Adams (were Katie took these photo's - thank you Katie).  Both nice confident runs with handling errors on my part.  One run at Empingham that was a little disappointing as he seemed very nervous.

He was also very distracted during his first run at Derby but his Mini/Mixi pairs with Indi seemed to change all that as he really enjoyed it, although he thought Ann was trying to steel the baton at the end of Indi's run and wouldn't let her have it!!

After that he has done two lovely runs the next day at Derby and four very promising runs this weekend at Scunny. 

At the moment I'm really not handling him very well and he doesn't want to do the weaves at shows so both of these things are stopping his "flow" around the courses and when this happens he allows himself to get distracted.

I'm optimistic that with a bit more practice these can be easily sorted.

Watch this space!!

Kiros continues to run so well for a 10 year old Shepherd.

I'm picking and choosing the courses that he runs now which sometimes means that he doesn't do much in a day but what he does do he thoroughly enjoys - maybe a bit too much as he has started to get a bit naughty!!

Clear runs have been a bit few and far between as he has been missing contacts, breaking waits and knocking poles.

He did do a lovely clear yesterday in the EO qualifier stopping on all of his contacts to prove he can still do it and he's just being cheeky!!

I'm looking forward to next weekend at we are off the KC International Festival.  Lots of top class Agility to watch.

I just wanted to finish this post by congratulating Pen and Brennan for not staying in Grade 2 very long!!  They won Grade 2 Agility and Jumping at Dog Vegas last weekend so at the next Dog Vegas show at the end of August Brennan and Reno will both be running Grade 3 together.  Yippee!!

No comments: