Monday 4 July 2011

Two Weeks of Training..............

Haven't quite gone according to plan!!! 

We don't have much on show wise in July.  Mainly because Reno really wasn't doing that well when the July shows closed but also because (with the exception of Tuffley) there wasn't much I fancied and it seemed an ideal time to get in some extra training.

Paul and Pen left for the Lakes last weekend but said I could visit the paddock whenever I wanted.  So last Saturday morning I headed off with a plan in mind of what I wanted to practice.  Tried the electric gate when I got there but there was no power to it. Hung about a bit and tried again. Still no power :-(  So decided to take the Dogs on a nice walk on the way home.  I actually discovered a lovely new walk around Gedling Woods but didn't have my camera.

Following a text from Paul I discovered that there had been several power cuts in the village so I must have been unlucky.  I decided not to try Sunday as it was so hot.

Monday and Tuesday's training were a bit strange as Reno was working really well on his contacts and jumping but his weaves and waits didn't work at all.

By Friday I'd decided to try the paddock again and arranged to meet Fiona there...............You guessed it - Still no power!!

We managed to get in (not saying how) but by the time we had set up us and the Dogs really didn't want to do much so, after a little bit of weave practice that went very well, we spent the main of the time letting them run around and play with each other.


Not sure Black-Jack and Ruby wanted Reno to join in!!

By this time I was desperate to get something constructive done so I booked to go to Sue's this Saturday and shared a very productive training session with Sue and Allison.


As Faym is still doing channel's we set this sequence up using the "swivel" channels.  What we hadn't realised was that they didn't work in two sets of six and if you look closely at the set nearest to the camera you can see that the gap between the 4th and 5th pole is smaller.  Reno had already successfully completed this set before we realised and, although he made a few more mistakes then normal, worked really well.

Jo's given me a few things that I've been working on to improve his focus and hopefully stop him feeling the need to wander off the start line.  I wish I knew why he did this?

He so enjoyed being with Faym and Guess.  Typically he completed the exercise correctly - just not on camera!!!

Next weekend is Agility Nuts again.  Ann and I are sharing Judging Agility and Speed and Power on Sunday so we don't miss any of our runs.  Not sure how that is going to work in practice but as the entries are quite low I'm sure we'll have plenty of time.  I've just got to come up with a few courses :-)

No comments: