Monday 8 August 2011

Scunthorpe

My plan from now on is to record on my blog how Reno and I ran in on each course to provide me with something to look back upon and track our progress.  Hope it's not to boring for you...my avid followers!!! :-)

I have to say that this weekend was our most promising to date.  There are positives to be taken from every run. So here goes.............

Saturday 6th August 2011 (Not videoed as I forgot to take my camera to the ring!)

Graded 1-3 Jumping - Judge:  Emma Rouse - I loved this course, really unusual but flowing.  Reno got his weave entry but came out at about the 3rd pole so 5f. I put him back in and he competed all 12 brilliantly then just a refusal further on in the course when I didn't commit him to a jump before back crossing.  10f in total - Not Eliminated!!

Combined 1-3 Jumping - Judge: Bob Sharpe - It was obvious that this was going to be a good course with elements that suited Reno and our way of handling.  The start was tricky for us - two jumps straight into 6 weaves but with two tempting tunnels on either side.  I wasn't surprised when Reno chose a tunnel over the weaves - E!  I got him back on track but called him to early for a turn resulting in him landing in a heap before the jump and the "Three in a row" towards the end of the course didn't work. Reno and I seem to be struggling with this handling manoeuvre at the moment.

The heavens opened at lunch time so we decided not to do the Agility runs as I was going to use them for training.  Luckily there was a practice ring at this show so I was able to do some contact work there.

Sunday 7th August 2011


The first run on the movie is Kiros's Anysize jumping.  As you can see he had an amazing time but knocked the 1st pole.  Only Kiros could knock poles at that height:-)

CSJ C3-5 Agility - Judge: Gary Murphy - This is the only clip that I've included our entire "start line" on to save you getting very bored.  Unfortunately every one this weekend was similar.  After discussing this on our journey home Ann and I have come to the conclusion that I haven't been consistent enough with my "Sit" command and Reno doesn't actually know that it means bottom on the ground until I say "GO".  Homework required!! 

Despite the lack of "Sit" I was very please with this run.  Two lovely contacts and nice weaves.  I decided to quit while we were ahead and leave the ring so we could have a good game of tuggy and lots of sausage:-)

G3-5 Jumping - Judge: Michelle Guerin - Good start but Reno got a whiff of his toy and chose to find it rather then weaving.  My handling went a bit to pot after I brought him back but again his weaves were good.  I must learn when I 'm not going to be fast enough to put in a front cross.

G3-5 Jumping - Judge: Jackie Smith - Another lovely course but probably my worst handling of the weekend.  The only excuse I can offer was that I obviously gave up trying after I pushed Reno into the jump wing, rather then through the gap between the jumps, at the beginning.

Adams Derby - Judge: Bob Scott - Great 2o2o contacts in the "Power" section.  It's a shame they are so slow but I think I'd rather enforce the stop then work on the speed (that I know he is capable of) later.

I hadn't intended to do the "Speed" section.  To be honest I wasn't optimistic about getting through the "Power" but as we did I thought we may as well give it a go.  This was the hardest course of the weekend and although we got E'd I was pleased with how Reno attacked it.  Especially his weave entry even if he wasn't able to stay in them.

Reno was a little distracted at the top end of the course both in the "Power" and the "Speed" sections.  You can't see it on the movie but there was bag at the far end of the ring that must have had some smelly food in it!

Ann tried a few runs with Harley and, although he set of well on some of them, he allowed himself to become distracted after the first few obstacles.  He's such a strange boy as he always comes out of the ring wagging his tail like he's had the time of his life.  Anyone know a good Doggie Psychiatrist?!!

Next Saturday we are off to WBSDS Show.  We've never been to this one before, generally choosing the KCI Festival but as neither of us currently have a Dog that is competitive we thought we'd give something else a go.  Hopefully far less walking :-)

No comments: