Thursday 15 September 2011

Agility Nuts KC Show

Wow..........what can I say?!!

Paul and Pen put on an amazing show :-)  I know that both of them felt the stress a little but didn't let anything show to the competitors, Judges and other helpers.  Our every whim was accommodated!!

That's not to say that the show wasn't hard work - I spent all of Friday being Pen's "Dog's Body" making sure they were walked, fed, toileted, etc, Scribed on Saturday and Ring Managed on Sunday - but my lovely friend's "can't do enough for you" attitude rubbed off on the competitors at the show and we were almost fighting off willing helpers. 

Could it have been Pen's amazing catering that was drawing people out of the woodwork?  I've never been so well fed at a show in my life!!

Sticking to my guns I didn't run Reno in any of the Agility classes even though I'd entered them so this is how we got on in the jumping:-


Saturday's classes are on the video above:-

Combined 3-5 Jumping - Judge: Bob Sharpe - What is it with me and Bob's courses?  I know that they are going to suit Reno and me.  They are always challenging but within our capabilities. Watching the video you can see that Reno actually followed my handling and then lost focus when he realised that I wanted him to do something different to what I was signalling him to do!!

Graded 1-3 Jumping - Judge: Joy Hitchcock - Perfect course for the grades and I worked Reno a bit better in this one although it looks like I actually pulled him away from the weaves.

Kiros was clear but just outside the placings in both of his runs.

Sunday

Graded 3-5 Jumping - Judge: Edna Soames - Another lovely course from Edna.  I look forward to seeing what she puts up as she always manages to make her courses individual.  Reno started well with a lovely angled recall but was drawn to a tunnel entrance in the middle of the flick-flack so E'd.  The next part of the course gave the handler a choice of pull or push throughs.  I opted for the "push" which worked really well.  Then onto some box handling followed by weaves and a bit more handling before the finish.  Reno picked up the weaves and finished the course perfectly.  Apart from the E at the beginning this felt like a great run :-)

Combined 1-3 Jumping - Judge: Andrew Garratt - Regular readers of my blog will know how much I like Andrew's courses.  He is quite unique in that he only runs small dogs but has a great understanding of how to set courses that get the best out of large dogs.  My only criticism of Andrew's courses?  Lots of running!!!  The start of the course was actually quite similar to Edna's (after I've just commented about her individuality!!) but this time the tunnel was a little less tempting and Reno worked it well.  We had a slight miss understanding at the weaves and (I think) we were E'd just after them.  The rest of the course was quite Helter-Skelterish so Reno loved it :-)

Again Kiros was clear in the Helter-Skelter just outside the placings but, this time, E'd in the jumping!!  Not sure why but we occasionally have moments on the course when I go one way and he goes the other :-(

This weekend is NADTC's Fun Day and I'm taking all three boys.  Not sure how Ronnie will do as he hasn't ran a course for about a year.  One thing you can guarantee is that he'll bark a lot.  I'm hoping someone (Ann?) will take some photo's so I have more to post on here.

Next Tuesday Reno and me are on a very timely Anthony Clarke training session.  One thing that is obvious from the video is that, again, I am not running confidently and my arm movements are "wishy washy".  I'm sure Ant will have me "snapping" like a good'n by the end of the session.

1 comment:

Andrew Garratt said...

Thanks for your lovely comments about my course. I enjoyed judging it despite not feeling 100%. Paul and Pen put on a lovely show. I will try to cut down on the running next time! x