Saturday 15 October 2011

Why have a Malinois?

I haven't updated my blog for ages and was planning a big update last weekend but, somehow, it didn't feel appropriate after finding out that Conor and Katie had tragically lost Megan.

It's fair to say that every Dog is specially to their owners but I truly believe that Agility gives us a closer bond with our friends. In turn, every dog that we have to pleasure to spend time with enriches not just our lives but that of those around us.

My first encounter with Ronny's litter was in December 2008. The Pups were just 6 weeks old, the first time I'd met a litter that young, and I was there to pick Reno from the bunch. A task that I thought would be completely impossible!!

I took along a few toys for the baby's to play with and although they all loved playing with them (Megan was particularly keen on the tuggie) it was obvious which pup was Reno as he kept coming back to me for a cuddle. 

Even at this young age it was obvious that Megan knew who was boss by falling asleep on top of Reno.

The next time Reno met up with his litter mates was April 2009.  Ann and I had ventured down to a show at Newbury and we met Conor and Katie for the first time.  The pups had great fun playing with each other and Katie captured it all on camera.

Just before their 1st Birthday Katie and I booked Reno and Megan on a training day with Lucy Osborne.  This proved to be a great start to their Agility training and, of course, gave them another opportunity to bond with each other. 

Megan obviously understood Reno's favorite game - "I'm going to steel your toy and you're going to chase me for it"!!

Although we've met up again at several different shows regrettably this is the most recent photo that I have of the Pup's together.

Playing with Kiros and Harley. 

You can see how Reno got his idea for his game, can't you? :-)

At times like this it is very easy to dwell on regrets - Why didn't we make more time for the pups to play together? - particularly at Nut's Show?  Why did Reno take the pole in the Team Dash costing us a qualifying place?!! - but I'd rather remember the joy that Reno and Megan shared.

When I first started competing in Agility I envied my friends that had "breeds" for being part of a group of like minded people that could share their successes.

I knew that getting a Malinois would allow me to be part of a group like that but I didn't realise that getting a "Kronik Kid" would bring an even closer sense of belonging and closer friends - So................

Go Ronny, get that last win into Grade 7 and some Champ tickets to go with it!

Zippy, prove to everyone that you're a "chip off the old block".  We can't wait to cheer you on in Champ and at Olympia!

Speedy,  keep working on tightening those turns and you'll be soring through the grade's in no time!

Kody, teach your Mum and Dad everything that you know so they can help give Heidi the confidence to show her real potential!

And............

Reno, just have fun baby.  I love you so much!! xx

No comments: