Tuesday 12 April 2011

Sunny Scunnie!!

Reno had four runs on Saturday at Scunnie and Ann kindly videoed three of them.  This is his first run of the day, Graded 1-3 Jumping. (The others are a bit dark and difficult to see.  I must get myself a video camera)

This is the first time that I have really had an opportunity to see how Reno is running and it has opened my eyes to a few things.

1. Reno is a sensitive boy but is happy when he knows what his criteria is.

2. He has absolutely no idea what I want him to do in the weaves.

With hindsight I should have stuck to one method of training and persevered with it. 

I'm very lucky to be able to train with someone who's opinion I rate very highly, Jo Rhodes, and after discussing my fears with her we have decided to re-train Reno purely on 2x2's.  

I'm getting a copy of Susan Garrett's video that I'm going to study and video everything I do so that I can make comparisons/alterations.

Obviously this will mean not doing weaves at all for a while but, as luck would have it, I don't have anymore shows booked after Lincoln until High Peak on 14th May.  So a good 3 weeks of re-training (and beyond if necessary).  Thanks to everyone who has offered me advise as to how to help Reno with his weave problem. 

One of the major positives from the show were Reno's contacts.  Although a little slow and hesitant his "nose touches" were excellent.

On Sunday I went to Chesterfield for a training afternoon with Nigel Staines.  I was a little apprehensive about how Reno would be as he was unfamiliar with the venue and some of the Dogs he'd be training with but had nothing to worry about.

He got more and more confident as the afternoon went on.  His contacts got faster and faster whilst still maintaining his criteria (apart from when I was a prat and released him early - being timed makes me do silly things :-) ).  Most pleasing of all was that he had absolutely no issue with the See-saw on either days.

I'm looking forward to Lincoln Show mainly because Kiros will have two runs per day.  As for Reno...I'm just going to have to decide if I can run each course depending on where the weaves are.  Still it will be a great opportunity to meet up with friends :-)

No comments: