Monday 22 June 2009

ABC Semi-Final and Newton Heath

What can I say? - I'm currently feeling really bad as I let my Kiros down in the ABC Semi.

Ann ran him during the day on Saturday to save my leg and, although he ran well for her, it was obvious that he'd rather have been with me. "Great" I thought, "He's really going to go for it in the Semi with me running him".

I had a really good running order, 23, and was confident when I walked the course as there was nothing in it to worry me. It suited our handling system plus I could utilise Kiros's independent contacts to get in front of him when required.

Kiros really attacked the first half of the course but it all started to go wrong when he slipped off the side of the See-Saw. Worried about what had happened I spent to long watching him come down the A-frame and was then out of position to pull him into the wrong end of the tunnel. I screamed at him but clearly saw his nose go into the tunnel before he came towards me and into the correct end. Deflated I just jogged to the end giving Kiros no direction so he went over the wrong obstacle after the tunnel - At which point I saw the Judge signal an Elimination!

Apparently from where he was standing he couldn't see the tunnel so hadn't eliminated us at that point.

I feel so stupid as I'm constantly advising my Pupils not to assume they have failed their test, no matter what they do, as the Examiner may not see things the same way that they do. Seems I'm not very good at following my own advice!

On the plus side - My leg held up well but I'm going to take a rest from Agility for a week or two now to make sure it heals properly. I don't want to end up like Ray who ran an amazing round with Bella in the Semi in absolute agony as he was running on a recurring calf strain. At least they qualified for Olympia.

I have to mention Harley run. He was a really good boy, taking the Dog Walk and the Weaves in his stride and coming away with only 5 faults for a refusal.

The outstanding run of the Semi, in my opinion, was Grace and Kiah's. But for a knocked brick on the Wall they would have qualified in 2nd place. Well done Grace. You'd better get yourselves qualified for next year!!

My plans for the rest of the year? - No more holding contacts! Lets see just how close to Grade 7 we can get - If only I could remember the courses (anyone who saw me run Norman's Crufts Agility yesterday will know what I mean!).
Anyway, less of the Agility! Here are some photo's of the boys playing in the Garden. I've managed to get the three of them posing together.




No comments: