Wednesday 4 May 2011

Day 7

A bit backwards as Susan Garrett adds the Jump to 4 straight weaves and then uses various combinations of 2 x 2's to get the weaves up to 6.

Again, probably a little impatiently, I knew that Reno could easily weave 6 so straightened the weaves up, put him through them a few times and then added the Jump. Only once did he come out of the weaves and that was when I confused him.

Looking at the video I think the training session went a bit better then it felt.  I'm obviously beginning to expect a bit more from Reno but he didn't seem to be trying as hard to get the entry after taking the jump.

Having said that his success rate was still reasonable and I decided to finish the session earlier then I wanted to as the bangs (which you can just hear on the video) were beginning to distract him.

We completed day 7 on Monday and I haven't been able to do anything else with him since then which is a shame because I think he is a bit of a "latent learner".  Every time I introduce a new challenge he slows down and thinks about it and then the next day it seems to sink in!!

From what I can see in the work book days 8 and 9 concentrate on taking the number of poles up to 12. 

What I'm planning to do is keep repeating day 6 at the same time as this as I need to get Reno thinking a bit more about his entry after an obstacle.

Yesterday we had Ray training us at NADTC.  He very kindly worked out separate exercises for me without using the weave and Reno was amazing - naughty but amazing :-)

He jumped the Wall for the first time and didn't bat an eyelid.  I'm pretty certain that his contacts are now almost as fast as Kiros's but the naughty bit is that he isn't consistently stopping or not stopping for as long as I want him to.  I have always believed that a truly driven dog will know how to do things correctly but want to do them wrong because they know it's quicker.......I guess I've got that with Reno ;-)

1 comment:

Katie McManigan said...

I have 2 that 'think they know best' cz its quicker!!! Reno's weaves are looking great, he'll be doing it in no time! :)