Monday 16 May 2011

The Weakest Link

At the moment Agility with Reno seems to be full of surprises - some good and some bad!!

Although I didn't manage to do any weave practice with Jo on Monday night we did a lot of work on start lines.  Jo wanted to know if Reno understood that handler standing still by a jump is a turning cue.  Pleasant surprise number one was that he completely understood and shortened his stride like a pro to turn tight :-)

I set the course up for training on Tuesday night.  Pleasant surprise number two - Reno got every weave entry in his class (quite straight forward) and also managed the more difficult entry that I'd set up for Kiros's class.

So on my way to High Peak I was a little nervous but quietly optimistic.  Why is it always at that point things start to go wrong?!!

Reno's first run of the day was in jumping and he managed 3 jumps before an elimination, dodging me and obstacles to go into tunnels, but I did manage to get him through 12 weaves (eventually).

Above is his Agility run. He had no intention of stopping on his contacts and, again, went into a tunnel 3 times rather the weaving!!

But the team dash was the biggest humiliation of the day!!! It had been spitting with rain most of the day and by the time we got to run the dash the heavens had opened so Andrew didn’t put any weaves into the course. Reno ran first and worked the tight corner that I was worried about lovely then I relaxed and he took an off course jump getting eliminated. Then Speedy ran – clear, Zippy – clear and then Megan - you’ve guessed it – clear!!!

By this point Ann and I were both soaked and had lost the will to live so we left without attempting his last Agility :-(

Thanks to Jo for posting a video of the dash on her blog as I've been able to analyse my handling in that run and the Agility.  My conclusion is that the weakest link is...............Me!!

I could list a number of things that I did inconsistently but the biggest disappointment was the start lines.  After all of the training that we did a few days before how could I have thought that Reno would know to turn when I was still moving?

My resolve for next weekend is to run in competition like I do in training.

On a lighter note Ann, Sue and I went to watch the World Agility Open yesterday nr Bristol.  It was a very long but incredibly exciting day.  The British competitors were  literally world class and I was so proud to see Dave and Rusty receive Gold in the Individual Pentathlon and Team events.

To top it all we were treated to Susan Garrett at her finest with what can only be described as a perfect run in the Biathlon Agility.

2 comments:

Andrew Garratt said...

Hi Natalie,

Glad you took my advice to post it on your blog!

Don't beat yourself up about the Team Dash - it was brilliant to judge, your Mali team was one of the most beautiful!

It was only a simple mistake and it was a shame it went to pieces a bit at the end but you kept your good humour unlike some other teams!

Andrew x

Katie McManigan said...

I agree with Andrew, it was meant to be fun and thats what it was! All the dogs really enjoyed themselves and I know I had fun. Plus we get to do it again this weekend!